Grandma's homemade biscuits are a baking powder biscuit recipe passed down from generation to generation. This baking powder biscuit recipe without eggs is easy to follow and create delicious layered, buttery biscuits every time. Try our classic biscuit recipes today for a delightful treat your family will love.
This post may contain affiliate links. This means if you click on a link and purchase something, I may earn a small commission from it. In the footer of this page is my full disclosure policy.
Homemade Biscuits Ingredients:
- Flour - main dough base, make sure you are using regular flour and not self rising flour or else the baking powder amount will be off.
- Baking powder - helps biscuits rise
- Butter - helps hold the dough together and create flavor
- Milk - helps moisten dough so it doesn't fall apart. This recipe uses whole milk and not buttermilk.
Tips for the Best Biscuits:
- Cold ingredients - unlike most recipes, this recipe needs cold dairy products. The colder the butter and the milk, the better for making fluffy biscuits!
- Grate butter - grate the frozen butter with a cheese grater to make it small pieces of butter before cutting into the mixture. This recipe uses butter instead of shortening.
- Use food processor - Chop the dry ingredients with the butter in a food processor to evenly distribute the butter and flour together if you don't have a grater.
- Use rolling pin - use this device to ensure even thickness for even cooking.
- Add flour - if the dough is overly sticky, add a little more flour
- Toppings - serving biscuits with amazing toppings always amplifies the taste. Butter, honey, jelly, gravy, or syrup make great toppings!
How to Make Homemade Biscuits with Butter:
- Stir together dry ingredients.
- Grate butter with a cheese grater. This helps chop the butter into tiny pieces to evenly distribute it amongst our dough. Add milk.
- Hand stir together the mixture or use a stand up mixer to slowly blend ingredients. We want to minimize as much body or electrical heat going into these biscuits as much as possible or else the butter will melt and milk will warm up which will not create flaky, buttery, layered biscuits.
- Roll dough out with a rolling pin. Fold dough into 3rds to creates layers.
- Cut biscuits out with a biscuit cutter. You can also use a glass if you do not have one. It is best to go straight down with your cutting object instead of cutting side to side or else the biscuit will lose shape.
- Bake baking powder biscuits at 450 degrees until tops are golden brown. Serve with your favorite biscuit toppings!
Butter, jelly, gravy, honey, etc make great toppings. You can also use them as a side dish for breakfast foods like eggs and bacon!
Biscuits only take about 7-8 minutes to bake at 450 degrees.
Yes, store biscuits in an air tight container for up to 2 days before serving
You can get by without a biscuit cutter by using a cup to make a circular impression in the dough and use a knife to cut the shape around it.
Biscuits can become hard if the dough is overworked or if the biscuits bake too long. It is very easy to overcook this biscuits. It is best to take out of the oven at 7 minutes and cut a biscuit in half to check if the inside is done. If it is not done, put back in the oven for 2 minutes.
If your biscuits did not rise, it more than likely has to do with the baking powder you are using. You should get a new can of baking powder every 6 months to ensure it is fresh enough.
Yes, put biscuits in air fryer that is preheated at 400 degrees for about 5 minutes. Cut one open and see if inside is done. If it is done, take out and eat. If it is not done, allow to air fry a few minutes longer.
How to Store:
Store baking powder biscuits in an air tight container in the fridge for up until one week.
4 Ingredient Baking Powder Biscuits
- 2 cups flour
- 3 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ cup butter frozen
- ¾ cup cold milk
- Stir together flour and baking powder in a large bowl.
- Grate butter with a cheese grater. You can also cut butter into small pieces with a knife. Add to flour mixture along with the milk.
- Hand stir together the mixture or use a stand up mixer to slowly blend ingredients. Transfer to floured surface.
- Roll dough out with a rolling pin so it is a rectangle. Fold dough into 3rds like you are trifolding a paper for an envelope. This creates layers. Use a biscuit cutter (or a round object) to cut biscuits out of dough. Dough should be half inch thick. Place on sprayed baking sheet. Repeat step with remaining dough.
- Bake homemade biscuits at 450 degrees for about 7 minutes or until tops are golden brown. Serve with butter, jelly, honey, etc!
All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. Nutritional facts listed are a rough estimate and should only be followed as a general idea.
These look amazing!
So simple and easy! Thanks for the recipe!
Andréa Janssen says
Looks delicious. Thank you for sharing.
These biscuits were super yummy and super flaky!! Fabulous!!
I never realized how easy biscuits could be! Thank you!
Amy Liu Dong says
Such an easy and delicious recipe to try.
Saving this as my reference. Thank you!
Deliciously simple and easy to make. Perfect for making biscuits when you’re busy and fancy a treat.
tasty biscuits and easy to make
love how simple these biscuits are to whip up! so good!