Soft homemade croutons booming with garlic buttery flavor in this homemade croutons from bread recipe. These croutons are made in the oven and take less than 15 minutes to make. These taste way better than the ones out of the package any day.
This post may contain affiliate links. This means if you click on a link and purchase something, I may earn a small commission from it. In the footer of this page is my full disclosure policy.
Table of Contents
What to serve homemade croutons with button on:
These soft buttery croutons taste great on salads! They add a nice buttery flavor to the lettuce or spinach. If you want a greek salad idea to use these croutons, click here. You can also eat them plain, one of my favorite snacks.
Main ingredients to make recipe for homemade croutons:
- crusty bread-it is necessary to have the bread somewhat crusty for a more crunchy effect. If you want your croutons more soft, then use fresh bread.
- olive oil and melted butter-these both soak the bread to make it flavorful throughout.
- garlic powder and Italian seasoning– provides flavor.
Overview of how to make garlic croutons with sliced bread:
- cut bread-the bread needs to be cut into smaller pieces. I chose to cut my slices of bread into 9 squares on every slide. It is up to you on how big or small you want to cut them depending on what size you want the croutons to be. Place bread cubes in a bowl.
- combine remaining ingredients in a measuring cup– combining these ingredients separately ensures that the flavors are blended together throughout
- pour mixture over bread-this will allow the bread to soak up the flavor
- bake bread– baking the bread will allow the croutons to get more crispy, but still allowing them to stay soft on the inside.
Variations of homemade seasoned croutons:
- use buns instead of bread-some people eat their bread faster than their buns. Making homemade croutons out of buns will allow those buns to get used up.
- more garlic powder-if you want your garlic coutons to have a stronger garlic flavor, you can add more garlic powder.
- more italian seasoning-if wanting additional flavor, adding more italian seasoning will help.
- omit red pepper flakes-the red pepper flakes is so low in amount that most people hardly know they are there. If you have strong taste buds, and do not like spicy-ness, feel free to omit them.
- longer baking time-baking these croutons longer result in more of a crispy flavor
How to store homemade croutons:
- fridge-store this recipe in an air tight container at room temp for up to one week
- freezer-I have not tried freezing this recipe. If you would like to try it, let me know how it goes.
Recommended Products-Click to Buy
- 5-8 slices crusty bread
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp Italian seasoning
- dash salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- Using a pizza cutter, cut each bread slice into 9 cubes. Place these in a large bowl.
- Dump remaining ingredients into a measuring cup. Stir. Pour onto bread cubes. Stir with rubber spatula to evenly coat with the buttery/oil mixture.
- Bake on a 9 x 13 baking sheet lined with parchment paper at 375 degrees for 5 minutes. Remove from oven, and stir croutons around. Bake for an additional 5-8 minutes or until toasted to your desired perfection. Serve with salad or eat plain.
All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. Nutritional facts listed are a rough estimate and should only be followed as a general idea.