Whether you want to cut carbs or just don't want to make or buy a pie crust, this crustless apple pie recipe is for you! This pie can be made from beginning to end in about 45 minutes. It is also a one pot dessert baked in a standard sized pie plate! Perfect to whip up if you have an excess amount of apples on hand. This easy apple pie recipe serves about 8 people.
This post may contain affiliate links. This means if you click on a link and purchase something, I may earn a small commission from it.
This recipe is most similar to my Mulberry Pie and Crustless Pumpkin Pie recipes.
- Apples - I used granny smith, but other kinds of apples would also work.
- White sugar and brown sugar - to sweeten the apples
- Cinnamon - for the fall, Thanksgiving pie taste
- Baking powder - for the crumb topping
- Butter - adds flavor
- Flour - thickens the crumb mixture
How to make crustless apple pie:
- Make filling - boil apples, water, cinnamon, and sugar to blend the flavors together. This step also helps the apples soften. Pour apple mixture in a sprayed pie dish.
- Make crumb topping - in same previously used pot (one pot recipe!) combine butter, flour, brown sugar, and baking powder. This allows the crustless apple pie crumb mixture to form. At first it may seem like how will this form crumbs, but after a while it starts to form.
- Sprinkle crumbs on apple filling. Bake until golden brown!
What pie pan do I use?
A metal or glass one works best! These are not as flimsy as the aluminum ones. I personally used the glass ones as shown in the pictures.
What kind of apples should I use for Swedish apple pie?
Granny Smith apples are best for baking. Some people like tart half and the other half of their apples less tart to balance out the flavor. I would not recommend red delicious apples though because they turn mushy when baked. To see if the apples you have are compatible with apple pie, click here.
Can I use nuts?
You can add nuts such as pecans to the crumb topping.
Do I need to refrigerate Swedish pie?
Because apples go bad faster cut up and at room temperature, I recommend placing this pie in the fridge with plastic wrap unless you are planning on eating the whole pie in 24 hours.
How to serve no-crust apple pie:
Straight out of the oven! Nothing smells or tastes better than fresh pie.
For toppings, whipped cream of course! Some people love so much whipped cream that people ask "would you like an apple pie with that?" because their dessert is less than their whipped cream!
You can also serve with vanilla ice cream and make it no crust apple pie ala mode.
How to store apple pie with fresh apples:
- Fridge - my family always stores every fruit dessert in the fridge for up to one week. We typically put a lid or saran wrap on pie so it does not taste like the fridge.
- Freezer - put a lid on the pie so it is air tight. Place in the freezer until ready to eat. Thaw out and eat.
One Pot Crustless Apple Pie
- 6 medium sized granny smith apples cored, peeled, and sliced into thin slices
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¾ cup water
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup melted butter
- In a medium sized pot, place apples, sugar, cinnamon, and water and stir to combine flavors. Let simmer oven medium heat until apples are soft.
- Pour apple mixture into a sprayed standard-sized pie pan.
- In the same previous used pot, melt the butter over low heat. When melted, stir in flour, brown sugar and baking powder. It should form little clumps. Spread these clumps over top apple mixture in pie pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until juices are bubbling. Serve your Crustless Apple Pie with whipped cream or ice cream!
All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. Nutritional facts listed are a rough estimate and should only be followed as a general idea.
This was the easiest apple pie I have ever made! It tasted delicious with vanilla ice cream!
So easy to make and super delicious. I am definitely going to make this crustless apple pie again.
Ones practically are this in one night!
Ooh I love apple pie! So yummy.
What an easy and delicious pie!
So easy and so good. I will make it again soooooon!
This is perfect!!!
My type of pie! I love the filling and always leave the crust!
Katie Youngs says
This sounds so delicious and creative! I love the idea of cutting some carbs without sacrificing flavor.
Such a delicious recipe!
We LOVED this pie!! After having this one - I don’t think I will ever make one with crust again. It is perfect.