Tomato Soup with Tortellini is a great soup for a winter day in the house! You can add extra sour cream if wanting it more creamy. This is one of my favorite soup recipes. If you are unsure of the flavor just because it is a tomato soup base, don't be wary because the tortellini adds to the flavor a great deal! It is not a thick tomato soup base either, so that helps break down the standard tomato base taste. This creamy tomato soup recipe serves about 6 people.
This post may contain affiliate links. This means if you click on a link and purchase something, I may earn a small commission from it. In the footer of this page is my full disclosure policy.
Favorite ingredients for this creamy soup:
- butter-tub butter or stick butter works
- chicken broth-I make mine out of chicken bullion cubes
- heavy cream-provides creaminess
- tortellini-you could use homemade but I use store bought
- parmesan-makes this creamy parm tomato soup even creamier
- basil and cilantro-from my own garden
What to serve with tomato soup:
I like my tomato soup with garlic bread! Click here for a garlic bread recipe. Grilled cheese is also a classic tomato soup side. If you want a topping with crunch, top with garlic croutons!
Variations of cheese tortellini soup:
- meat tortellini-you can make this a nonvegetarian recipe by adding meat tortellini instead of cheese tortellini
- use ravioli-instead of tortellini, you can use ravioli and make this a creamy ravioli soup instead.
- more milk or sour cream-this would give the tomato soup a lighter color and it would make it more creamy
- milk and sour cream- ½ cup milk and ¼ cup sour cream would be a great substitute for heavy whipping cream
- use yogurt-can you put yogurt in tomato soup? You can substitute the heavy cream with room temp plain greek yogurt.
- omit basil-you can take out the basil of this soup recipe if you do not like basil. Basil can be a strong flavor for some people.
How to store creamy tomato basil soup:
- fridge-store leftover tomato soup in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to one week
- freezer-I have not tried freezing this recipe. If you would like to try it, go for it! Let me know how it goes.
Check out my other delicious soup recipes:
Tomato Soup with Tortellini
- 2 tablespoon butter
- ¼ cup chopped white onion
- 2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 10.5 oz cans of Campbell's tomato soup
- ¾ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 19 oz package frozen cheese tortellini
- ¼ cup basil leaves
- ¼ cup cilantro
- Salt, pepper, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder/salt to season
- Melt butter in a large sauce pan with deep edges over medium heat. Put onion and garlic in the pan, cook until browned.
- Add in broth, water, and tomato soup. Bring to a boil for 10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Stir in heavy whipping cream. Let it simmer for a few minutes on medium. Add in tortellini. Boil for about 5-7 minutes or until noodles are soft and floating. Stir in basil, cilantro, Parmesan cheese, and seasonings. Serve your Tomato Soup with Tortellini hot and with grilled cheese.
All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. Nutritional facts listed are a rough estimate and should only be followed as a general idea.
This is my favorite tomato soup recipe! It tastes so good and makes an excellent freezer meal. It's easy to reheat and is a whole family favorite.
This was good & easy the only thing I suggest is omitting the water & adding more heavy cream to make it more of a thick creamy bisque.
This recipe is so good! So economical, quick, delicious and easy! I cooked as directed but used a mix of cream cheese and almond milk in place of heavy cream. I also used dried basil leaves and cilantro in place of fresh. My husband claims he doesn’t like soup but he loved this hearty satisfying soup!