Tomato Soup with Tortellini is a great soup for a winter day in the house! You can add extra sour cream if wanting it more creamy. This is one of my favorite soup recipes. If you are unsure of the flavor just because it is a tomato soup base, don’t be wary because the tortellini adds to the flavor a great deal! It is not a thick tomato soup base either, so that helps break down the standard tomato base taste. This creamy tomato soup recipe serves about 6 people.
This post may contain affiliate links. This means if you click on a link and purchase something, I may earn a small commission from it. In the footer of this page is my full disclosure policy.
Check out my other delicious soup recipes:
What size of pot do I need?
I make this tomato soup in both a T-fal Nonstick Thermograde Dishwasher Safe 12 Inch Skillet and a Isma Stockpot 10 quart. It tastes the same no matter the pan, but I think it is best to make it in a smaller pan so that way you do not dirty up a large deep dish pan you could be using for something else. Either way, click the images below to check out the pan prices if you are interested.
Favorite brands for this creamy soup:
- butter-Country Crock
- chicken broth-I make mine out of chicken bullion cubes
- sour cream-Best Choice
- milk-I usually use vitamin D whole milk
- tortellini-Best Choice
- basil and cilantro-from my own garden
What to serve with bisque soup:
I like my tomato soup with garlic bread! Click here for a garlic bread recipe. Grilled cheese is also a classic tomato soup side.
Variations of cheese tortellini soup:
- meat tortellini-you can make this a nonvegetarian recipe by adding meat tortellini instead of cheese tortellini
- more milk or sour cream-this would give the soup a lighter color and it would make it more creamy
- milk and sour cream- 1/2 cup milk and 1/4 cup sour cream would be a great substitute for heavy whipping cream
- omit basil-you can take out the basil of this soup recipe if you do not like basil. Basil can be a strong flavor for some people.
How to store creamy tomato basil soup:
- fridge-store this soup in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to one week
- freezer-I have not tried freezing this recipe. If you would like to try it, go for it! Let me know how it goes.
Tomato Soup with Tortellini
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup chopped white onion
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 10.5 oz cans of Campbell's tomato soup
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 19 oz package frozen cheese tortellini
- 1/4 cup basil leaves
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- Salt, pepper, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder/salt to season
- Melt butter in a large sauce pan with deep edges over medium heat. Put onion and garlic in the pan, cook until browned.
- Add in broth, water, and tomato soup. Bring to a boil for 10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Stir in heavy whipping cream. Let it simmer for a few minutes on medium. Add in tortellini. Boil for about 5-7 minutes or until noodles are soft and floating. Stir in basil, cilantro, Parmesan cheese, and seasonings. Serve your Tomato Soup with Tortellini hot and with grilled cheese.
All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. Nutritional facts listed are a rough estimate and should only be followed as a general idea.