Very dense carrot cake with coconut recipe! Great way to use up extra carrots in the fridge in this healthy carrot cake. What's carrot cake made of? Carrots in cake sounds odd, but paired with sugar and spices, it tastes like a normal cake. I tried to make this recipe somewhat healthy for being a cake by adding apple sauce and unsweetened coconut flakes. Why is carrot cake dense? There is a lot of ingredients that are not super moist like carrots and coconut flakes that makes this cake more dense than a normal cake. Makes a 9x13 baking dish.
This post may contain affiliate links. This means if you click on a link and purchase something, I may earn a small commission from it.
Vegan Cream Cheese Icing:
I used a vegan cream cheese frosting recipe for the topping. I ran out of cream cheese so I had to find a vegan recipe. The link to the frosting recipe is here. You can use any frosting recipe you want though! Buttercream would taste great too!
To see my other dessert recipes, click here.
Tips for making carrot cake with coconut:
- grate carrots finely-sometimes while making this, I feel that my carrots are grated too long. A food processor would help cut down on the length, and would leave your dessert not feeling like eating strings of carrots with frosting
- omit coconut flakes-if you do not have coconut flakes, you can use more grated carrots instead
- keep in the fridge-because of the carrots and frosting, keeping the carrot cake in the fridge will prevent it from drying out. Carrot cake can last up to a week in the fridge.
- make it vegan-this carrot cake with vegan cream cheese is already mostly vegan, but if you replaced the eggs with flax seed meal, then it would be 100% vegan. Carrot cake without eggs is possible.
Favorite ingredient brands to use for this carrot cake with coconut recipe:
*flour-provides a base
*baking soda-helps the carrot cake rise
*baking powder-also helps the carrot cake rise
*spices and vanilla-enhances flavor
*unsweetened apple sauce-I buy the kind in cups
*coconut flakes-adds texture and density
Overview of how to make easy carrot cake with coconut:
- stir together dry ingredients
- beat together wet ingredients, then stir in carrots and cocoanut flakes.
- combine wet and dry ingredients, then pour into a sprayed 9 x 13 baking dish. Bake. Serve with or without frosting.
How to store homemade carrot cake with coconut:
- fridge-store this cake with frosting in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to one week
- freezer-I have not tried freezing this recipe. If you would like to try it, go for it! Let me know how it goes.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon of spices: cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and salt
- 1 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- dash vanilla
- 2 cup grated carrots
- ½ cup coconut flakes
- In a small mixing bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, and baking powder, along with the spices. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the apple sauce, eggs, white sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla for 1 minute. Then add in the carrots and coconut flakes. Stir until well combined.
- Pour the flour mixture into the apple sauce mixture, and stir.
- Spray a 9x13 baking dish. Dump batter into baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Place on a wire rack to cool. Spread your favorite frosting on top. Serve.
All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. Nutritional facts listed are a rough estimate and should only be followed as a general idea.