This creamy Chicken in White Sauce is great by itself or with potatoes, rice, or pasta! Creamy garlic chicken recipe serves 5. It should take no longer than 30 minutes to make this chicken in white sauce recipe.
This post may contain affiliate links. This means if you click on a link and purchase something, I may earn a small commission from it.
Ingredients in creamy garlic chicken:
- Chicken - the main protein of the dish
- Flour - gives the chicken a coating
- Chicken broth - I use the chicken bullion cubes to make mine
- Cream cheese - provides creaminess
- Sour cream - also provides creaminess
- Oregano and basil - add flavor
Overview of how to make Creamy garlic chicken:
- Coat chicken breast pieces in flour, and fry them in olive oil. This will give the chicken crispiness.
- Make the sauce by combining the rest of the ingredients. Let simmer and serve!
How to tell if the chicken breast is done:
To tell if the chicken in white sauce is fully cooked, can be done in the following ways:
- Temp - With a meat thermometer, you can remove a piece of chicken from heat and insert the meat thermometer. If the chicken temps above 165 degrees Fahrenheit, it is done.
- Cutting it open - Without a meat thermometer (I did not have one for years) you can cut a slice of chicken open to see if it is done. If it is white on the inside, it is done. If the chicken is still slightly pink, let cook a bit longer.
Can I cook the chicken ahead of time?
Definitely! Just cook the chicken, let it cool, and place it in the fridge until you are ready to make the sauce if you are going to make it within one week. If going to make it in longer than a week, freeze the chicken in the freezer and thaw out before using and finishing the chicken in white sauce.
Why is my garlic sauce thin?
Before you place the chicken back in the sauce, the sauce will be rather thin. The flour on the chicken breast makes the sauce thick.
Can I use other parts of chicken?
You can use boneless skinless chicken thighs if you want to, but they make take longer to cook. Make sure to temp your chicken to make sure it is done.
When do I flip the chicken?
If the chicken is not moving by lifting up the edge of a piece, then it needs more time to cook to cook the flour coating. Make sure there is enough oil in the pan though. If there is not enough oil in the pan, then it might be sticking because it needs more oil.
Variations of basic white sauce:
- More cream cheese or sour cream - adding additional cream cheese or sour cream would make the sauce extra creamy!
- Omit basil - some people do not like basil, if you happen to be one of those people, you can take it out and it would not affect the flavor too much.
- Add additional seasonings - you can season this recipe with any seasonings you feel is necessary that I did not mention as well!
What to serve with creamy garlic chicken?
Mashed potatoes are the easiest to serve with this because the garlic sauce would also taste good on the potatoes! You can also serve with corn and green beans. Garlic bread can be dipped in the sauce as well.
How to store:
- Refrigerate - Using an air tight container, store chicken in white sauce in the fridge for up to one week
- Freeze - I have not tried freezing this chicken recipe, but if you would like to try it, let me know how it goes!
Cubed Chicken in White Sauce Recipe
- 4-5 largely chopped chicken breasts
- 1 cup flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 small onion, minced
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 4 tablespoon sour cream
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon basil
- olive oil for frying
- Pour flour in a small bowl. In a large deep dish pan, pour in 2 tablespoon of olive oil. Roll chicken slices in flour. Place in pan with oil. Heat until golden on both sides and cooked throughout. Remove chicken from pan and place on paper towels to absorb oil.
- In same pan, pour in chicken broth, garlic, and onion. Stir, cooking over medium heat until garlic and onion start to simmer. Add in cream cheese, sour cream, oregano, and basil. Keep stirring until most lumps are gone. Add chicken back in. Cook until chicken is heated throughout. Serve this Chicken in White Sauce with pasta, potatoes, rice or by itself!
All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. Nutritional facts listed are a rough estimate and should only be followed as a general idea.