This Sausage Tomato Pasta tastes like a pasta you would get at Applebees! This is a great way to use up marinara sauce if there is some leftover in the fridge. This savory pasta recipe serves 2, but can double it if making for a family. Should take no longer than 30 minutes to make!
This post may contain affiliate links. This means if you click on a link and purchase something, I may earn a small commission from it.
This recipe requires you to save some pasta water, so make sure to account for that before draining out all water from pasta. I find that this pasta water makes the cheese more creamy versus using regular water.
Table of Contents
Check out my other delicious pasta recipes:
What to serve with sausage pasta:
I like to eat my pasta with garlic bread or breadsticks! To make the garlic bread, I just butter bread with butter and sprinkle minced garlic and garlic salt on top and broil it for 1 minute. I sometimes add cheese to my garlic bread as well.
Favorite ingredient brands for this quick pasta recipe:
- pasta-Barilla cellentani
- smoked sausage-Eckrich, not sponsored, but I love this brand.
- butter-Country Crock to coat the pan in step 1, and Crystal Farms or Best Choice stick butter for slices
- mozzarella cheese-Crystal Farms
- Parmesan cheese-Best Choice
- pizza sauce-Hunt’s
Overview of this sausage and tomato pasta recipe:
- boil pasta according to directions on the box
- cook garlic, onion, bell peppers, and sausage in a skillet
- drain pasta REMEMBER TO SAVE 1/2 CUP OF WATER
- melt butter in pot with pasta water one slice at a time, add cheeses-this slow process will make it creamier pasta
- add skillet of garlic and onions and pizza sauce to cheese mixture, stir, then add pasta.
How to store this sausage and pasta dish:
- fridge-store this pasta recipe in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to one week
- freezer-this recipe can be a freezer meal! Prepare as normal, and let cool before placing in a freezer safe container. Freeze for about a month. To reheat, place pasta in the oven in a 9 x 13 baking dish for about an hour at 400 degrees.
Sausage Tomato Pasta
- 1/2 16 oz box cellentani pasta
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/4 onion chopped
- 2 strips of green bell pepper chopped fine
- 1 strip red bell pepper chopped fine
- 1/2 cooked ring smoked sausage sliced
- 1/2 cup pasta water
- 1/4 cup butter sliced
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 7 oz marinara sauce
- Boil pasta according to directions on the box. While the pasta is boiling, in a small skillet, melt 1 tbsp butter over medium heat. Add in garlic, onion, bell peppers, and ring sausage.
- When pasta is soft, strain but *be sure to save 1/2 cup of the pasta water in the pot.*
- Turn the pot with water remaining in it onto medium heat. Add in butter one slice at a time. Stir until melted between each slice. Add in cheeses little by little stirring between each add. Add in pizza sauce and the skillet of cooked peppers and sausage.
- Add pasta back in the pot that has ingredients in it. Stir. Cover and let cook for about 5 minutes over medium heat to blend flavors. Serve this Sausage Tomato Pasta hot
All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. Nutritional facts listed are a rough estimate and should only be followed as a general idea.