This Cajun Sausage Pasta tastes like a pasta you would get at Applebees! This is a great way to use up marinara sauce if there is some leftover in the fridge. This savory pasta recipe serves 2, but can double it if making for a family. Should take no longer than 30 minutes to make!
This post may contain affiliate links. This means if you click on a link and purchase something, I may earn a small commission from it.
- Pasta - cellentani
- Smoked sausage - Eckrich, not sponsored, but I love this brand.
- Butter - stick butter for slices
- Mozzarella cheese - freshly shredded
- Parmesan cheese - powdered
- Pizza sauce - the tomato base
Overview of this creamy sausage and tomato pasta recipe:
- Boil pasta according to directions on the box
- Cook garlic, onion, bell peppers, and sausage in a skillet
- Drain pasta REMEMBER TO SAVE ½ CUP OF WATER
- Melt butter in pot with pasta water one slice at a time, add cheeses-this slow process will make it creamier pasta
- Add skillet of garlic and onions and pizza sauce to cheese mixture, stir, then add pasta.
This one pot andouille sausage skillet pasta recipe requires you to save some pasta water, so make sure to account for that before draining out all water from pasta. I find that this pasta water makes the cheese more creamy versus using regular water.
Can I make this ahead of time?
Yes, you can store this recipe in the fridge for a few days if you want to prepare in advance. Reheat in microwave or on stovetop.
Can I make this vegetarian?
You can choose to omit the Cajun sausage, but then it would lack Cajun flavor. Season with Cajun spice if omitting the sausage.
What to serve with Cajun sausage pasta:
I like to eat my pasta with garlic bread or breadsticks! To make the garlic bread, I just butter bread with butter and sprinkle minced garlic and garlic salt on top and broil it for 1 minute. I sometimes add cheese to my garlic bread as well.
How to store this sausage and pasta dish:
- Fridge - store this andouille sausage pasta recipe in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to one week
- Freezer - pasta can be a freezer meal! Prepare as normal, and let cool before placing in a freezer safe container. Freeze for about a month. To reheat, place pasta in the oven in a 9 x 13 baking dish for about an hour at 400 degrees.
Check out my other delicious pasta recipes:
Creamy Cajun Sausage Pasta Recipe
- ½ 16 oz box cellentani pasta
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ¼ onion chopped
- 2 strips of green bell pepper chopped fine
- 1 strip red bell pepper chopped fine
- ½ cajun andouille sausage sliced
- ½ cup pasta water
- ¼ cup butter sliced
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- 7 oz marinara sauce
- Boil pasta according to directions on the box. While the pasta is boiling, in a small skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Add in garlic, onion, bell peppers, and ring sausage.
- When pasta is soft, strain but *be sure to save ½ cup of the pasta water in the pot.*
- Turn the pot with water remaining in it onto medium heat. Add in butter one slice at a time. Stir until melted between each slice. Add in cheeses little by little stirring between each add. Add in pizza sauce and the skillet of cooked peppers and sausage.
- Add pasta back in the pot that has ingredients in it. Stir. Cover and let cook for about 5 minutes over medium heat to blend flavors. Serve this Sausage Tomato Pasta hot
All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. Nutritional facts listed are a rough estimate and should only be followed as a general idea.