These are very creamy loaded mashed potatoes! My favorite part is the cream cheese. It really makes them have a nice soft texture. Mashed potatoes with cheese and bacon would be great to bring to a family gathering. The melting butter on the top adds to aesthetic appeal. This loaded potato recipe makes a 9×13 baking dish and feeds about 8 people.
This post may contain affiliate links. This means if you click on a link and purchase something, I may earn a small commission from it.
Main ingredients for this mashed potato casserole recipe:
- potatoes-Russets. Yellow or golden potatoes would work as well, cooking time might be different then so be sure to watch out for that.
- sour cream-I used the squeese kind
- cream cheese-Philadelphia, I find this creates better texture
- milk- whole milk
- butter-stick butter
- bacon-from the local locker, any bacon would work though
- cheese-shredded, I shred mine myself
Other potato recipes with cheese:
Overview of mashed potato casserole:
- first, boil and mash potatoes-you can mash them with a hand masher if you desire or mix them with a mixer.
- then, add other ingredients-I like to stir my potatoes in-between every ingredient. This ensures the ingredients are being spread throughout.
- finally, pour the potato mixture into a baking pan and bake-baking will blend the flavors together more
What to serve with garlic mashed russet potatoes:
I prefer my garlic potatoes paired with a meat! Steak, hamburgers, fried chicken, herb chicken, etc just to name a few are my favorites to go with this meal.
Loaded mashed potatoes variations:
- add spice-if you want to make these spicy, you can add chopped jalapenos
- more cream cheese-extra cream cheese will make this creamy potato recipe even creamier
- extra bacon-this recipe only requires 4 strips of bacon, but adding more strips would give it more of a smoky flavor if that is the flavor you desire.
- omit bacon-make vegetarian loaded mashed potatoes by taking out the bacon
- more garlic-I personally believe you can never add too much garlic to a dish. If you think 2 tablespoon of garlic is too little, definitely add more.
- extra cheese-only 2 cups of shredded cheese is required, but you can add more if wanting it more cheesy.
How to store creamy mashed potatoes:
- fridge-store this side dish recipe in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to one week. Reheat in the microwave for about 2 minutes or until warm throughout. Load with more mashed potato toppings.
- freezer-I have not tried freezing this potato recipe. If you would like to try it, go for it! Let me know how it goes.
Loaded Mashed Potatoes
- 12 medium russet Potatoes boiled
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- 8 oz cream cheese
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 tablespoon garlic
- ¼ cup butter
- 4 strips bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- Seasonings: cayenne pepper, thyme, dill, cajun, salt, pepper
- After potatoes are boiled, mash them with a potato masher. Add all other ingredients, stirring between each one. Placed into a sprayed 9x13 baking dish. Can add extra butter and cheese to the top to make it look more ascetically pleasing.
- Bake at 400 degrees 20 minutes. Serve your Loaded Mashed Potatoes warm.
All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. Nutritional facts listed are a rough estimate and should only be followed as a general idea.