Can you bake churros? Of course you can! Easy quick dessert recipe for baked churros! I find that by adding more cinnamon, it makes the sugar-cinnamon coating stick better! This is a 4 ingredient recipe using the ratio of sugar and cinnamon that worked best for me. This baked churros without eggs recipe makes a fairly quick dessert as there is no dough mixing! This baked churros with puff pastry recipe serves about 10 people.
This post may contain affiliate links. This means if you click on a link and purchase something, I may earn a small commission from it. In the footer of this page is my full disclosure policy.
Baked Vs. Fried Churro Fries
Baking makes this an easy churro recipe because you can bake them all on a baking sheet at the same time instead of deep frying in batches. This cuts down on cook time, but also cuts down on oil heat up time because there is no oil involved. How to make churros without oil are still just as tasty as making them with oil since there is still butter, sugar, and cinnamon involved.
Baked churros ingredients:
- Puff pastry - I used store bought. You can home make your puff pastry too if you want! You can also make a homemade puffy pastry recipe.
- Butter - stick butter
- Sugar - white sugar
- Cinnamon - McCormick
How to make excellent churros with puffy pastry:
- Cut puff pastry - I cut mine into about 4-6 inch strips. You could probably cut these into whatever size you would like though. Bake until crunchy and golden brown. Let cool.
- Prepare butter and sugar and cinnamon - the butter helps the cinnamon/sugar mixture stick to the puff pastry. You might need more or less cinnamon and sugar or butter depending on how hard you push the puff pastry into the cinnamon and sugar mixture. I have made this recipe multiple times, and the ratios never fail me! No leftover cinnamon/sugar or butter to throw out when I get done.
- Coat - finishing off these churros is fairly easy. Just roll cooled the puff pastry in butter and then the sugar/cinnamon sugar.
Toppings for eggless churros:
Some people like to put syrup on their churros! You can also serve pudding on them or chocolate. Whipped cream or ice cream would also be good flavors.
If you have leftover puff pastry, you can fill it with chocolate or make chocolate ganache.
What baking sheet to use?
Unlike for cookies, I try to use a thinner baking sheet for everything else. They do not take as long on a thinner baking sheet compared to a thicker baking sheet. A Teflon extra nonstick pan would work just fine! You can get these for under $10.
How to store oven baked churros:
- Fridge - How long are churros good for? Store this easy dessert recipe in an air tight container at room temperature and they should stay good for about a week.
- Freeze - I have not tried freezing this recipe. If you want to try it and freeze it, let me know how it goes. I do not know how these they would thaw out though.
Mexican dishes to serve with:
- Chile Rellenos
- Chicken Burrito Skillet
- Chicken Flautas
- Chicken Tamale Casserole
- Pork Chile Verde
- Easy Chicken Enchiladas
Baked Churros With Puff Pastry
- 1 sheet puff pastry thawed
- 7 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Cut puff pastry into 5 inch by ½ inch strips. Place on a sprayed baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Meanwhile melt butter in one bowl, and combine the sugar and cinnamon in another bowl.
- After the puff pastry is golden, remove from oven and let cool for 3 minutes or until cool enough to handle. Roll baked puff pastry strips in the butter and then roll in the sugar and cinnamon mixture. Place on a drying rack to cool. Serve your baked churros cold or hot.
All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. Nutritional facts listed are a rough estimate and should only be followed as a general idea.