Deep frying is a lot of work, so baked cheese sticks is the way to go! I have tried this recipe using multiple flavors of cheese, and it works great every time! This means you can make baked cheddar cheese sticks or baked mozzarella sticks when making these baked cheese sticks with string cheese. This homemade cheese sticks recipe serves about 4-6 people and is 311 kcal per serving.
This post may contain affiliate links. This means if you click on a link and purchase something, I may earn a small commission from it.
Variations of mozzarella sticks:
- Freeze time-This mozzarella stick recipe does require freezing, however, one time I did not freeze them, and they turned out okay. They did not hold shape very well, but they still tasted just as great! If you want to cut down on time, you can skip the freezing part.
- different types of cheese-most people prefer mozzarella cheese sticks, but baked cheddar cheese sticks are just as good! The mozzarella and cheddar twisted cheese sticks are also a family favorite.
- not cutting them in half-you can leave the cheese sticks in full length, I choose to cut mine in half when feeding more people though.
- omit olive oil-you do not have to drizzle the cheese with olive oil after removing from oven, but if you chose to skip that step, know that the bread crumb coating may be a little dry.
- utilize air fryer-making homemade mozzarella sticks in air fryer is possible! Prepare the same way but just air fry for half the time periodically checking in on them.
My family usually makes these for lunch. Check out my other quick lunch recipes:
Favorite ingredient brands to use for this cheese sticks recipe:
- cheese sticks- in any flavor of your choosing, as long as it is stick cheese! The twisted kind seems to work as well.
- eggs-I use my own farm fresh eggs
- flour-this forms the coating
- bread crumbs-this provides crunch
Steps to make cheese sticks:
- cut cheese sticks in half, and place eggs in a bowl, and place flour and breadcrumb mixture in another small bowl
- toss a cheese stick in egg mixture, next flour/breadcrumb mixture, then back to egg mixture, and finally, flour/breadcrumb mixture again
- place cheese sticks on a baking tray and freeze for 30 minutes
- bake cheese sticks! Drizzle with olive oil after removing from oven. Serve with marinara sauce or ranch. Click here for a marinara sauce recipe.
How to store homemade baked cheese sticks:
- fridge-store these cheese sticks recipe in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to one week
- freezer-this recipe can be a freezer appetizer. Once they are done baking and are cooled, place in a freezer container. To serve, heat up in the microwave or oven until heated throughout.
Baked Cheese Sticks
- 1 package of individually wrapped cheese sticks if any flavor
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- Unwrap each cheese stick from its packaging and cut it in half.
- Crack eggs in a pie tin or a small bowl. Stir together flour and bread crumbs in another pie tin or small bowl.
- Toss a cheese stick in the egg mixture. Remove and transfer to the breadcrumb/flour mixture and roll in it. Dip cheese stick back in egg mixture and then roll back into the breadcrumb/flour mixture. Place on a baking sheet. Repeat with remaining cheese sticks.
- Place the baking sheet of cheese sticks in a freezer for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, bake for 10 minutes at 375 degrees. Remove from oven and drizzle with olive oil. Serve your Baked Cheese Sticks with marinara sauce. If you need a marinara sauce recipe, click here.
All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. Nutritional facts listed are a rough estimate and should only be followed as a general idea.