Just like how a good book covers the depths of the wearer’s complexity, this scrumptious dish can cover all your taste buds and cravings! Get ready for a one-pan dinner that kills every craving around — cheesy chicken burrito skillet dinner. All it takes is a few simple ingredients and very little prep time and you can make it whenever you like! No need to heat up an oven. Exceptionally great for weeknights, these cheesy chicken burrito skillet dinners are perfect to serve up for friends and family.
Come over for dinner. We’ve got everything you need to make this easy cheesy chicken burrito skillet dinner! You can feed a crowd with just 1 pot. Here’s to weeknights with the easiest, tastiest dinners ever.
This post may contain affiliate links. This means if you click on a link and purchase something, I may earn a small commission from it. In the footer of this page is my full disclosure policy.
Why this recipe is the best:
- One pot meal - easy clean up! Just add everything to the skillet, eat, and wash pan when done.
- Fairly healthy - this recipe covers all the food groups. Rice=carbs, chicken=protein, Rotel-veggies, nacho cheese=dairy
- No rolling burritos - rolling a bunch of tortillas can be time consuming. By making a chicken burrito bowl, it is so much easier!
- Customizable - kids generally do not like spice. If you are making this for your family, you can put the spice on your plate and have the kids eat the rest plain! Plus if you don't have chicken, you can customize this with turkey or beef!
- Butter - helps lubricate the pan
- Chicken breasts chopped - main protein of the dish
- White onion - adds zest
- Green chilies - a bit of heat
- Minced garlic - a nice garlic, Mexican dish flavor
- Rotel tomatoes - easier than chopping up a bunch of tomatoes
- Sriracha sauce - adds heat
- Black beans rinsed - adds protein
- Water - helps rice cook
- Long grain rice - a side dish mixed with the meat to make a one skillet meal
- Nacho cheese sauce - creamier than shredded cheese
How to make chicken burrito in a skillet:
- Cook chicken - this is our protein in this recipe
- Add vegetables - this adds more nutrients and flavor
- Make rice - since this is a one pot meal, you just leave all the previous ingredients in the skillet and cook the rice with it. Kind of a neat concept, but make sure your rice is fully cooked before adding the cheese and serving
- Add cheese - the cheese is to give it more of a creamy texture
Tips for making one skillet chicken burrito bowl:
- Cook rice fully - nothing is worse than crunchy rice because it is 100% totally avoidable. Taste test before adding cheese to ensure the rice is fully cooked. If it is not fully cooked but there is no more water left in the skillet, add more water. This will be soaked up by the rice and help it cook.
- Rinse rice - rinse rice in a strainer before placing in the boiling water. This will help the rice not stick together after cooking.
- Season well - there is very simple ingredients for this chicken burrito skillet seasoning, but seasoning is what makes or breaks a meal. Make sure to taste test for seasoning before serving to your guests.
- Fully cook chicken - I know my chicken is done when it is white on both sides, and not pink in the center. I usually temp mine before taking it out of the pan. If the chicken is above 165 degrees, then it is done.
- Cauliflower rice - if you are looking for a healthier meal, chicken burrito skillet with cauliflower rice is an option!
- Omit black beans - beans are not for everyone. If you are having a hard time eating this chicken and black bean skillet, omit the black beans. You can substitute them for pinto beans if you would like.
- Shredded cheese - instead of nacho cheese, shredded cheese is also an option. If going this route, use freshly shredded cheese instead of the bag kind. This will help it melt better.
- More meat - hamburger, steak, or other meats can be used as a protein substitute or even in addition to the chicken if you are looking for more meat.
- Diced tomatoes - instead of rotel, freshly chopped diced tomatoes are another option. Just make sure you get the juice in there.
- Quinoa - instead of rice, quinoa also tastes good!
- More heat - use pepper jack cheese, add more hot sauce, chili powder, etc.
Toppings for burritos:
How to store chicken burrito bowl skillet
- Fridge - store this recipe in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to one week
- Freezer - I have not tried freezing this cheesy chicken burrito skillet. If you would like to try it, go for it! Let me know how it goes.
Chicken Burrito Skillet Dinner
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 4 chicken breasts chopped
- ¼ cup white onion
- 4 oz green chilies
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 can rotel
- 3 tablespoon sriracha sauce
- 15 oz black beans rinsed
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups long grain rice
- 4 oz nacho cheese sauce
- In a large deep dish skillet, melt butter and cook chopped chicken on both sides for about 4 minutes or until cooked fully throughout. Add onion, chilies, and garlic and cook until onion is transcluent.
- Add black beans, rotel, and sriracha sauce. Stir. Add water and bring to a boil. Once boiling, add rice and cook for about 20 minutes until rice is fully cooked.
- Once rice is fully cooked, add nacho cheese sauce. Serve your chicken burrito skillet with salsa, sour cream, and guacamole!
All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. Nutritional facts listed are a rough estimate and should only be followed as a general idea.