It’s almost the end of zucchini season, and I know how everyone needs to find a way to use their zucchini before it spoils! I was gifted some zucchini; so I went out and bought a tool to make the creamy pesto zoodles. This is a healthier meal than regular pesto pasta since its made of mostly vegetables. This can be a healthy lunch or a healthy dinner. This creamy pesto zoodle recipe serves 2-3 people.
This post may contain affiliate links. This means if you click on a link and purchase something, I may earn a small commission from it.
Do I need a special tool to shred the zucchini?
I think the tool I bought to make these zoodles was a great investment; I have made this healthy pasta recipe several times since buying the tool. It is just a basic vegetable shredder; it was not the zucchini spiral maker most people use for zoodles You can use a spiralizer if you would like to though.
If you are interested in the tool I used, click here or on the image.
What to serve with zucchini pasta:
I recommend serving vegetable pasta with breadsticks! When eating a lot of vegetables, it can be hard to feel full afterwards, so eating a small carb is a great option.
Check out my other spinach recipes:
Variations of pesto zoodles:
- add artichokes-spinach and artichokes go well together! Artichokes would also provide more nutritional value.
- omit spinach-I added spinach because I had an excess amount in my fridge. You do not have to add that though if you do not wish to!
- add meat-You can also add a protein like shrimp or chicken if you want to make this more filling.
- add marinara sauce-instead of pesto, you can use marinara sauce!
Favorite ingredients to use for this vegetable pasta recipe:
*zucchini-from our home garden! You can buy yours at a grocery store too
*cream cheese-Philadelphia, I think this brand makes it more creamy
*pesto sauce-I homemade mine, but you can use any pesto you desire. I made a spinach based pesto instead of basil based
Making zucchini pasta:
- shred zucchini-this is how your noodles form. I recommend shredding them fairly thin so that way they all cook evenly and more quickly
- make sauce in zucchini pan, add in spinach or other vegetables-this is a one pot meal so they can all cook together in the same pan.
How to store this low calorie meal:
- fridge-store this vegetable recipe in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to one week
- freezer-I would not recommend storing the leftovers in the freezer, but the zoodles themselves can be a freezer meal! Shred off the zucchini into strips and freeze until ready to make the rest of the recipe.
Creamy Pesto Zoodles
- 1/2 a medium zucchini
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1/2 cup pesto sauce
- 1 cup spinach optional
- Begin by shredding the zucchini into strips. Shredding it is kind of like peeling a potato. Do not shred the soft center part with the seeds though. Fry these strips in 2 tbsp olive oil over medium heat.
- Once zucchini is starting to fry and begins to soften, add cream cheese and pesto. Cook until cream cheese is melted. Stir occasionally. If using spinach, add to skillet. Cook until spinach is dark green. Serve the creamy pesto zoodles when all flavors are blended together.
All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. Nutritional facts listed are a rough estimate and should only be followed as a general idea.