Creamy stovetop spinach artichoke dip without mayo is so easy to make and can be made in under 20 minutes. I like this recipe because not only is it a quick and easy to make, but also because it can be made in one skillet and requires no baking time! This warm spinach artichoke dip recipe serves about 6 people. This dip recipe tastes amazing after a long, hard day in the winter.
This post may contain affiliate links. This means if you click on a link and purchase something, I may earn a small commission from it.
Favorite ingredients to use for this Stovetop Spinach Artichoke Dip without Mayo:
*artichoke hearts- the kind in marinate is the one I usually use. If you do not have ones in marinate, then just use oil for step 1 like the directions state
*spinach-flavor, and health benefits
*cream cheese-provides creaminess
*sour cream- any other sour cream works for creaminess
*hot sauce-your favorite hot sauce would work here!
Making spinach cheese dip:
- fry garlic and onion in artichoke marinate-I like to use the marinate as much as possible while cooking with artichokes that way it does not go to waste
- add in spinach and artichokes-cook until spinach starts to wilt
- add in sour cream and cream cheese-this will give it the creamy texture
- pour in hot sauce, and season to taste. Serve your spinach artichoke dip without mayo with chips!
Variations of this skillet spinach artichoke dip without mayo:
- more creamy-If you wanted your spinach cheese dip without mayo to be more creamy, you can add more sour cream.
- more cheesy-To make more cheesy, adding parmesan cheese also works! I tried to make this a somewhat healthy creamy artichoke dip, considering it is a spinach and artichoke recipe, so I cut down on the amount of cream cheese and sour cream. You can add more cream cheese and sour cream if you chose to do so!
- additional spinach and/or artichokes-I love spinach and artichokes, so I always like to add in more than the recipe call. If you want more ideas on how to use spinach, click here.
- omit spice-if you wanted to make this spinach artichoke dip without mayo have less of a kick, you can omit the green chilies/hot sauce.
- eat hot or cold-some people also like their spinach and artichoke dip cold! If eating this leftover, you do not have to reheat it.
- meat-you could use crab or chicken for extra protein.
- vegetables-chopped bell peppers/mushrooms are good add-ins for additional nutrition.
What to serve with fresh spinach artichoke dip:
- pasta-this dip is popular at Italian restaurants! It is wonderful to eat before pasta.
- meat-I am always hungry for steak after eating this dip! Mostly because at Applebees, I always eat the creamy spinach artichoke dip, then have a steak. Might as well make it cheaper at home!
How long does spinach dip last?
No bake spinach dip with cream cheese lasts about a week in the fridge.
How to melt cream cheese on stove?
It is best to melt cream cheese not using super high heat. You want it to slowly melt and not burn to the pan.
Can you make spinach dip without sour cream?
You can substitute ricotta or cottage cheese for the sour cream.
Can I use frozen spinach?
Fresh is best just because of the texture it gives. If you only have frozen on hand, make sure it is fully thawed and patted dry to get rid of excess moisture.
How do I eat the leftovers?
You can eat this dip right out of the fridge cold if you would like. If you want your artichoke dip warm, reheat on stovetop, or even easier yet, the microwave.
Can I omit the artichokes?
Not everyone likes artichokes. You can add extra spinach to make up for lack of thickness.
Check out my other spinach and artichoke recipes:
- creamy pesto zoodles
- sausage and spinach pasta
- bacon wrapped stuffed chicken breast
- spinach artichoke ravioli
- spinach artichoke lasagna
How to store artichoke parmesan dip:
- fridge-store this spinach artichoke dip without mayo recipe in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to one week
- freezer-I have not tried freezing this cold spinach artichoke dip recipe. If you would like to try it, go for it! Let me know how it goes.
Stovetop Spinach Artichoke Dip
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoon garlic
- 10 oz quartered artichoke hearts in marinate chopped
- 2 cups spinach
- 4 oz cream cheese
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoon hot sauce or green chili
- salt and pepper to taste
- If the artichoke hearts come in a marinate, pour 2 tablespoon of this into a large deep dish skillet over medium heat. If the artichokes you are using do not come in a marinate, pour 2 tablespoon of olive oil into the skillet over medium heat instead.
- Dump onion and garlic into the hot skillet. Stir. When they just start to turn a golden color, pour in artichokes and spinach. Stir. Cook until spinach wilts and turns a darker green color stirring occasionally.
- When spinach is dark green, reduce heat to a low simmer. Add cream cheese and sour cream. Let this melt together for a few minutes, stir occasionally.
- When cheeses are melted, dump in hot sauce or green chili, if using. Season with salt and pepper. Serve the stovetop spinach artichoke dip hot or cold with chips.
All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. Nutritional facts listed are a rough estimate and should only be followed as a general idea.