Chocolate Dream Bars are sure to cheer anyone up after a long hard day! What are dream bars? They are bars filled with gooey chocolate and a cake like outside. These are the perfect bars to make no matter what time of year. 5 ingredient desserts are hard to find, but this recipe happens to be one of them!
This post may contain affiliate links. This means if you click on a link and purchase something, I may earn a small commission from it. In the footer of this page is my full disclosure policy.
Check out my other chocolate recipes
Variations of dream bars with condensed milk:
- add coconut-these dream bars without coconut have more of a cookie texture, but if you wanted to add coconut to the chocolate filling you can definitely switch up the texture that way
- split dough half and half-the recipe says to pour 2/3 of the dough into the pan, and put the chocolate part, then the remaining dough on top. If you wanted to only put 1/2 the dough in the pan and then the other half on top after the chocolate that would provide more of an even cake consistency.
- add coconut oil-dream bars made with sweetened condensed milk have gooey insides, but if you wanted the inside more hard, omit the condensed milk and add a few tablespoons of coconut oil instead.
How to make dream bars:
- make cake base-the cake dough is similar to making regular cake mix but it has slightly different ingredients
- make chocolate filling-this filling stays gooey, so don’t worry about it being not set while coming out of the oven
- assemble-2/3 of the cake goes on the bottom of the pan followed by chocolate mixture and then topped off with cake dough pieces. The cake pieces do not cover the whole top for ventilation purposes.
How to store dream chocolate bars:
Can you freeze dream bars? I have not tried freezing this dream bar recipe, but if you wanted to try it and let me know how it goes, let me know!
I typically store these dream cake bars in an air tight container at room temperature for about a week or until they are all gone!
Chocolate Dream Bars Recipe
- 1 box white cake mix
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Combine cake mix, eggs, and oil in a large bowl. Spray a 9×13 baking dish, and press 2/3 of this mixture into the dish. Set aside remaining dough.
- In a large glass bowl, microwave together condensed milk and chocolate chips for 1 minute. Stir. If chocolate chips are not melted all the way, then keep microwaving at 15 second intervals until they are melted being sure to stir inbetween. Pour mixture over dough in pan.
- Using a spoon or your hands, form little flat circles of dough out of remaining dough. Place these on top of the chocolate mixture in pan. Dough is supposed to not cover the whole top so do not worry that you don't have enough.
- Bake dream bars at 350 degrees for 22-25 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Let cool on a cooling rack for about 15 minutes before cutting into the bars. Enjoy!
All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. Nutritional facts listed are a rough estimate and should only be followed as a general idea.