These double chocolate cookies are very easy cookies to make! I would recommend this choc chip cookie recipe to anyone no matter their baking skill level. This would be a great dessert recipe to take to a pot luck meal! This chewy cookie recipe does require some freezer time, so do factor that in. I took these to surprise my grandparents, and they loved them. This soft chocolate chip cookie recipe makes about 2 dozen cookies and is 162 kcal per serving.
This post may contain affiliate links. This means if you click on a link and purchase something, I may earn a small commission from it.
Check out my other delicious cookie recipes:
- Peanut Butter M&M Cookies
- Inside Out Cookies
- No Bake Cookies
- Eggnog Cookies with Eggnog Frosting
- Sugar Cookies
- Crispy Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
Favorite brands to use for this double chocolate chip cookie recipe:
- cake mix-Better Crocker not sponsored, this is just the one I used.
- eggs-from the farm
- chocolate chips-I used Nestle, but Hershey works too
Do I HAVE to freeze the cookie dough?
Since this chewy chocolate chip cookie recipe is made out of cake mix, yes. I find that freezing the dough is the most helpful in the formation of the cookies. Without freezing it, the dough would be more runny like cake mix.
How to make chocolate cookies out of cake mix:
- beat together all ingredients except chocolate chips, then gently stir in the chocolate chips.
- freeze the dough for 30 minutes
- after 30 minutes, scoop dough onto sprayed baking sheet using a cookie scoop or heaping tablespoon. Bake!
How will I know when my cookies are done?
I believe my cookies are done when the edges are firm and slightly more brown than the rest of the cookie. When I take my pan out of the oven, I leave my cookies on the pan for 1 extra minute to finish baking. Then, I remove them from the pan and place onto a cooling rack. Do not wait longer than 1 minute to remove the cookies from the pan. This will result in them being extremely hard to get off.
How to store soft chocolate chip cookies:
If the cookies are already made:
- eat right away-store cookies in an air tight container at room temperature for one week
- eat later-these cookies are freezable! Store in a freezer safe container in the freezer for about a month.
If it is just the dough:
- if you want to make the dough and use it at a later time, it keeps very well covered in the freezer! This way you can have the dough made in advance, and can make these quick double chocolate cookies even quicker when you want them.
Double Chocolate Cookies
Recommended Products-Click to Buy
- 1 box mix of devils food cake mix
- 1/2 cup oil
- 2 eggs
- 8 oz chocolate chips
- Stir together first 3 ingredients until mixed throughout. Add in chocolate chips. Freeze for 30-45 minutes in the freezer.
- After freezing time it up, using a cookie scoop, scoop 1 tbsp dough onto a sprayed baking pan. Repeat with remaining dough. Bake at 350 degrees for around 8-12 minutes or until just hard enough to be able to scoop off pan. Do not over bake. Serve the Double Chocolate Cookies when cooled.
All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. Nutritional facts listed are a rough estimate and should only be followed as a general idea.